One of the most common dreams is that of being naked or nude. Though it can be a shock, there is no need to worry. The dream is actually about being on the defensive and looking inwardly to see if you need to stop hiding behind others and be bold on your own.
Dreams about being naked are so common that they have been given meaning. Since we are born naked, it is somewhat symbolic of rebirth. To find yourself suddenly naked can mean a surprise is coming. In a group of friends, a naked self can mean you are struggling in the group. However, if you and everyone else is naked, it is a sign of happiness, friendship, and joy.
Generally, this dream is good if you feel ok about the situation. If you are feeling worried in the dream, you are likely concerned about how others see you in real life. Skin is representative of being above others, so if happy with what is happening then this shows you re on the path to have everything you wish. The message being that if you make sure your personality comes out, you can improve and impress people in real life.
The dream is your unconscious mind encouraging you to let go of fears and step acting defenseless. Freud believed this type of dream was linked with self-image and sexuality. It is important that we recognize that we have a desire to be seen, both for what and who we are in life. For example, if you are walking down the street with others in the dream, then there is something in your personality that needs to come out for success.
- If you find yourself suddenly nude and in a public place – a secret will be made known
- If you are naked but feel totally uncomfortable, worried, and feeling foolish or not good enough – you are hiding problems
- If you are in an embarrassing situation and naked – you are feeling defenseless
- If you are naked or undressing and feeling good about it – this is a positive dream
- If you are partially naked or suddenly fully nude and surprised by the fact – you are worried about your future
- If you and others are naked in the dream or you are swimming in a sea naked – your emotions are raging out of control
Guilt in our waking lives can come out in a dream as being naked in a public place and being recognized. This dream can also mean that you are feeling rejected by someone close.
If you are in love and have a nude dream about being in public, then you are struggling with commitment and need to make the relationship priority. However, the same dream after marriage can mean infidelity by a partner and lead to ultimate misery.
If you are blushing, signaling embarrassment, in your dream then you are hoping to avoid a social event in fear of being embarrassed.
Overall, the message is that hiding is not possible, and you need to simply become who you are deep inside. This is a dream about self-feelings, and you may need to work on personal growth.
- Depending on what part of your body is exposed, a specific meaning could be attached. For example, if your whole body is exposed then you need to work on self-improvement. Dream dictionaries can offer more detailed suggestions as to meaning.
- The clothing in your dream can also be significant. If the clothing is ragged, then you likely feel run down. Symbolically speaking, clothes are a mask and removing them reveals your true self. So, if this happens in a public spot in your dream and others are making fun of you, you have no internal sense of protection and feel exposed.
- Being partially naked in a public area and attempting to hide means you desire to leave a relationship behind. If you are young, under 30 and content to be happy in your dream, you are likely a winner or soon to be one in your career.
- Swimming naked in clear water is a signal a minor illness is soon to come.
- If alone and wandering around naked means you are seeking freedom to express yourself.
- A strip show being viewed or put on by you is related to a lack of communication and the resulting anxiety. Then again, nudity can represent a fresh start or a fulfilled wish fantasy. Along the same lines, a sexual encounter dream is highly positive.
- Being dressed by someone in your dreams can be pleasurable and related to shedding inhibitions and enjoying life. If the people are undressing you and critical, then reconsider your attitude toward others. Come clean about secrets to that person.
- If nobody notices your nakedness then you are feeling self-conscious, but if onlookers are pointing you are feeling fear of being found out. Seeing yourself naked in a mirror is symbolic for freedom.
- Dreaming of a naked baby means you are ready to free yourself from your childhood.
- Running naked indicates gossip about you may be circulating and obstacles could soon be faced.
- Dreaming of being nude outdoors is indicative of saying something silly in the future (assuming others are clothed) and will leave you feeling ashamed. However, if you do not feel ashamed of your nakedness then you can be confident in yourself as long as you are frank about your thoughts and feelings.
- Prior to the 1930s, nude dreams usually indicated death or distress, though in the 1800s they represented financial luck or gain.
Dreams are precursors of what is to come or what we expect, so you can keep the positivity afoot if:
- You stay honest.
- You openly communicate with others who were in the dream.
- You learn to not be as self-conscious about your body and self.
Overall, naked or nude dreams take on an obvious meaning if they are really reviewed and analyzed. No matter what you feel, accept it and move forward to accept the good and change what may be wrong.